How to Transfer Your Out-of-State Real Estate License to Pennsylvania

Real estate reciprocity in Pennsylvania

What if you already have a real estate license in another state? Do you have to start from the beginning in Pennsylvania? The answer is: maybe!

What Is Reciprocity?

Reciprocity means that if you are already licensed in one state, you can get a real estate license with a reciprocal state without needing to take all of the steps required for a new agent. 

Generally, to qualify for a reciprocal license, you must have passed the real estate licensing exam for your license type in your home state. You will need to pass the Pennsylvania-specific portion of the licensing exam, but the pre-licensing education and national exam requirements will be waived.

Additionally, you are required to submit proof from your home state that you are in good standing. More on that in a moment!

Here are some frequently asked questions about reciprocity in Pennsylvania.

States With PA Reciprocity

Pennsylvania currently only offers reciprocity with six states. They are:

  • Arkansas

  • Georgia

  • Louisiana

  • Maryland

  • Massachusetts

  • New York

For all other states, you have to follow all of the steps required for new agents. No shortcuts.

Reciprocal Licenses

Anyone applying for a reciprocal salesperson or broker license must have a license in a reciprocal state within the last five years and must pass the state-specific portion of Pennsylvania’s real estate license exam.

Additionally, you must submit the following:

  • A verified statement that, as far as you know, you are not under investigation for misconduct in any state

  • A verified statement that you understand and will follow PA real estate law

  • A verified statement allowing the PA Commission of Real Estate to see the record of any disciplinary proceeding against you from any state

  • Certification from the authority in your home state that your license is active and in good standing, describing any past disciplinary action, and verifying your brokerage office address (and supervising broker, if there is one)

Associate Broker Reciprocal License

If you are a broker applying for a reciprocal license in PA as an associate broker, you must also submit:

  • A sworn statement from the PA broker who will be supervising you, attesting to your reputation for honesty, trustworthiness, integrity, and competence

  • A sworn statement from your PA supervising broker promising to supervise you

Corporations as Brokers

Corporations, partnerships, and associations can get their own broker or reciprocal broker licenses in PA. To apply, they must:

  • Ensure that everyone in the organization who plans to do real estate activities has either a standard or reciprocal salesperson or broker license

  • Designate a licensee to serve as the broker of record

  • Establish a brokerage office in the state, and follow the rules for brokerage offices

  • Submit a license application

Converting a Reciprocal License to a PA License

If you have a reciprocal license but want to make PA your permanent home, you can apply to convert your out-of-state real estate license to a Pennsylvania license.

To do so, you just need to notify the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission 30 days in advance of the move and make sure that you are up to date with any continuing education requirements for PA.

Leanna Petronella

Want to know more about being a real estate agent?